Florence Buchkowsky serves this fruity salsa anywhere she'd use ordinary salsa. "My son and I experimented with different ingredients to find the combination we liked best," relates the Prince Albert, Saskatchewan cook. "Using the slow cooker minimizes prep time and maximizes the flavor."
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) sliced peaches, undrained
- 3/4 cup pineapple tidbits
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Tortilla chips
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine cornstarch and vinegar until smooth.
- Stir in the fruits, onion, peppers and garlic.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or until thickened and heated
- through, stirring occasionally. Serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 44 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.