Fruit-Glazed Turkey Recipe
I came up with this recipe one holiday when my family asked that I make something other than the same old turkey. They loved this fruity version. —Christal Helman, Lisbon, Ohio
- 1 package (14 ounces) unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- FRUIT GLAZE:
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Loosely stuff into turkey just before baking. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-qt. baking dish; cover and refrigerate until ready to bake. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the glaze ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate 1 cup for gravy. Brush turkey with some of the remaining glaze. Add 1/2 in. of hot water to the roasting pan.
- 3. Bake 2-1/2 to 3 hours longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting two to three times with glaze and occasionally with pan drippings (cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly). Discard any unused basting glaze.
- 4. Cover and bake additional stuffing, for 30-40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving turkey.
- 5. For gravy, loosen browned bits from the roasting pan. Pour pan drippings and browned bits into a bowl. Skim fat, reserving 1/4 cup. In a 2-cup measuring cup, combine pan drippings and enough water or broth to measure 2 cups.
- 6. In a large saucepan, combine the flour, salt and pepper; gradually whisk in the reserved 1/4 cup fat and dripping mixture until blended. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the reserved glaze. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey. Yield: 10-12 servings (2-1/2 cups gravy).
2 slice: 787 calories, 37g fat (15g saturated fat), 245mg cholesterol, 679mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 66g protein.
Reviews for Fruit-Glazed Turkey
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC