Fruit-Glazed Roast Chicken Recipe
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 3-1/2 pounds each)
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) pear halves, drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) peach halves, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) apricot halves, drained
- 1 cup pitted dried plums
- Lemon leaves, optional
- Place four lemon quarters in body cavity of each chicken. Skewer chicken openings; tie drumsticks together. Place chickens, breast side up, on a rack in a large roasting pan; bake at 375° for 1-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the broth, vinegar, lemon juice, apricots, brown sugar, raisins, ginger and salt. Process until smooth; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, for 7 minutes or until thickened. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the pears, peaches, apricots and prunes; pour hot syrup over fruit. Let stand 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Remove chickens from oven; spread with apricot mixture. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before carving.
- Thicken pan drippings for gravy if desired. Place chickens on serving platter; spoon fruit mixture around chickens. Garnish with lemon leaves if desired. Serve with gravy if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Fruit-Glazed Roast Chicken(1)
Sort By :
I made this tonight for my family and it was a big hit!!! My husband is not crazy about chicken so he was sceptical about how I was going to "mask" the chickeny flavor; but I really WOW'ed him! Thanks so much!