Fruit-Filled Spritz Cookies Recipe
From the first time I baked these cookies, they've been a lip-smacking success. Old-fashioned and attractive, they make a perfect holiday pastry. I'm the grandmother of six and stay active with a German folk dance group.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:45 servings
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup ground nuts
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 8 minutes or until thickened. Cool completely. Stir in the cherries, coconut and nuts; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 3. Using a cookie press fitted with a bar disk, press a 12-in.-long strip of dough onto an ungreased baking sheet. Spread fruit filling over dough. Press another strip over filling. Cut into 1-in. pieces (there is no need to separate the pieces). Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden. Recut into pieces if necessary. Remove to wire racks to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: about 7-1/2 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC