Fruit-Filled Spritz Cookies Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup ground nuts
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 8 minutes or until thickened. Cool completely. Stir in the cherries, coconut and nuts; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a bar disk, press a 12-in.-long strip of dough onto an ungreased baking sheet. Spread fruit filling over dough. Press another strip over filling. Cut into 1-in. pieces (there is no need to separate the pieces). Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden. Recut into pieces if necessary. Remove to wire racks to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: about 7-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Fruit-Filled Spritz Cookies
Sort By :
"I made a half batch of these cookies to see if I they were any good and they got rave reviews. I doubled the recipe for a family cookie exchange last night-- I need a lot and they yield 7 1/2 dozen but that's not the reason I chose them, I chose them because they really are quite unique and definitely one of the best cookies I've ever tasted. It is a time consuming cookie but so worth the effort. I chopped my dates very fine as well as the cherries and I used cashews as my nut since it's what I had around the house. A definite crowd pleaser!"
"Question...I want to try this recipe but, Is that 1 cup of chopped Maraschino Cherries OR 1 cup of Maraschino Cherries, chopped. There is a difference."
"I made these the past 2 years for Christmas . They are super easy & taste great ,everyone loves them that has tried them ."