Fruit-Filled Orange Cake Recipe
Be sure to leave room for a fruitful slice of this light and pretty cake. "Made from a mix, it couldn't be easierand you can get creative with the garnish," notes Nicholette Measel of Medway, Ohio. "This cake is just as delicious serve the next day...if there's any left."
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) orange-cream yogurt
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries, patted dry
- 1 cup canned unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained and patted dry
- Coat two 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray; line with waxed paper. Coat waxed paper with cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat for 2 minutes. Fold in orange peel.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 18-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt and whipped topping. In another bowl, combine strawberries and pineapple.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with half of the yogurt mixture; top with half of the fruit mixture. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining yogurt mixture over top of cake; sprinkle with remaining fruit. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Fruit-Filled Orange Cake in Light & Tasty June/July 2002, p23
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Fruit-Filled Orange Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review