- 1 package strawberry cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting, divided
- Red food coloring, optional
- Red nonpareils and pink jimmies, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, sour cream and eggs. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Place 27 paper or foil liners in heart-shaped or standard muffin tins. (If using standard tins, tuck a 1/2-in. foil ball or marble between the liner and cup to form a heart shape.) Fill cups half full with batter. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each; fill with 1/2 teaspoon preserves. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake portion comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- If desired, place a third of the frosting in a small bowl; tint pink with red food coloring. Frost cupcakes with white frosting; if desired, pipe edges with pink frosting. Decorate with nonpareils and jimmies if desired. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Fruit-Filled Cupcakes
"I'm not really a fan of strawberry baked goods, but I made them for a friend's birthday, and she loves strawberry. They turned out great! I was skeptical at first when I saw how much sour cream was in them, but they were delicious. The tang from the sour cream was just enough to balance out the extra sweet from the jam (we used strawberry) and kept them really moist."
"Delicious! I have been making a homemade version of these for years. I use a peanut butter cake recipe and fill with grape jam, topped with peanut butter frosting. Can't keep them long!"
"I experimented with strawberry preserves and seedless rasberry. I thought the rasberry filling gave a better berry taste."
"These are very good - moist and light all at the same time. Strange this popped up as the featured recipe - - I downloaded it from this site over a year ago."
"It wasn't as fluffy in texture as I was wanting."
"I am making this recipe for the second time because the first time was so good! I thought the filling would absorb into the cake quickly but they were good for a few days!"