Fruit-Filled Windmill Rolls Recipe
These cute sweet rolls make lovely additions to brunch buffets as well as creative cookie platters. Whether you dot them with apricot, cherry or even raspberry spread, the scrumptious bites are sure to impress. Test Kitchen
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup each 100% apricot and cherry spreadable fruit
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 1/3 cup sugar, yeast and salt.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, butter and water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add egg and egg white; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll into a 12-in. square. Brush orange juice over dough. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over dough. Cut into sixteen 3-in. squares.
- To form windmills, diagonally cut dough from each corner to within 3/4 in. of the center. Fold every other point toward the center, overlapping pieces. Place 3 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Press center firmly to seal. Beat egg white and water; brush over windmills. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350° for 13-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pans to wire rack to cool slightly. Spoon spreadable fruit into center of windmills. Serve warm. Yield: 16 rolls.
Originally published as Fruit-Filled Windmill Rolls in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p31
Reviews for Fruit-Filled Windmill Rolls(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review