Fruit Dessert Topping Recipe
You'll quickly warm up to the old-fashioned taste of this fruit topping from Doris Heath of Franklin, North Carolina. Spoon it over vanilla ice cream or slices of pound cake.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours YIELD:24 servings
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 3 medium pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Pound cake or ice cream
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, toss apples and pears with lemon juice. Combine the brown sugar, maple syrup and butter; pour over fruit. Stir in the pecans, raisins and cinnamon sticks. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- 2. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30-40 minutes or until thickened. Discard cinnamon sticks. Serve with pound cake or ice cream. Yield: about 6 cups.
1/4 cup equals 95 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 22 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC