Fruit Crisp Topping Mix Recipe
In Grand Valley, Ontario, Wendy Masters keeps this sweet mixture on hand to use as a time-saving topping for many desserts. Sprinkle over muffins or pies, or use it to create this quick fruit crisp with convenient canned pie filling.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:78-104 servings
- 5 cups quick-cooking oats
- 5 cups packed brown sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling or pie filling of your choice
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. Combine the first seven ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 13 batches (13 cups total).
- 2. To prepare fruit crisp: Place pie filling in an 8-in. square baking dish. Cut butter into 1 cup topping mix until crumbly; sprinkle over fruit. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings per batch.
1 serving (1 each) equals 202 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 139 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC