In Grand Valley, Ontario, Wendy Masters keeps this sweet mixture on hand to use as a time-saving topping for many desserts. Sprinkle over muffins or pies, or use it to create this quick fruit crisp with convenient canned pie filling.
- 5 cups quick-cooking oats
- 5 cups packed brown sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling or pie filling of your choice
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Combine the first seven ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 13 batches (13 cups total).
- To prepare fruit crisp: Place pie filling in an 8-in. square baking dish. Cut butter into 1 cup topping mix until crumbly; sprinkle over fruit. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings per batch.
Originally published as Fruit Crisp Topping Mix in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p51
Reviews for Fruit Crisp Topping Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review