Fruit Compote Dessert
"This is one of the first desserts I learned to make in the slow cooker, and it's the one guests still enjoy most," comments Laura Bryant German of West Warren, Massachusetts. "It tastes like it came from a fancy restaurant."
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled
- 2 medium peaches, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 lemon slices (1/4 inch)
- 1 cinnamon stick (3-1/2 inches)
- 1 medium firm banana, thinly sliced
- Whipped cream, sliced almonds and maraschino cherries, optional
- Cut apples into 1/4-in. slices and then in half; place in a 3-qt.
- slow cooker. Add the peaches, pineapple, pineapple juice, honey,
- lemon and cinnamon. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in banana slices. Serve with a slotted
- spoon if desired. Garnish with whipped cream, almonds and cherries
- if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 3/4-cup serving (without garnish) equals 117 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 fruit.