Fruit Cocktail Bars Recipe
My mother passed this recipe on to me. The moist bars have a delightful fruity taste, perfect for potlucks in winter and spring when fresh fruit is limited and expensive. -Linda Tackman, Escanaba, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:30 servings
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) fruit cocktail, undrained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs until blended. Beat in fruit cocktail and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture until well blended.
- 2. Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with coconut and walnuts. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes.
- 3. In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, butter and milk to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Drizzle over cake. Cool. Cut into bars. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 161 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 174 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC