Fruit and Nut Bread Pudding Recipe
- 16 slices day-old bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling, slices cut in half
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine bread and sugar. Set aside. In another bowl, beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, salt and vanilla until foamy. Pour over bread and sugar; mix well. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- 2. Stir in all remaining ingredients except cream. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until firm. Cut into squares. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 piece: 488 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 374mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Fruit and Nut Bread Pudding
"This has been our "go-to" company dessert recipe for several years now. Have yet to find someone who doesn't like it! I make a hard sauce to top it rather than whipped cream."
"This is a family favorite. My family likes it really plain (without apple pie filling, raisins and pecans). We often have it hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream."
"I have made this lots of times and get raves every time. It is so easy and is great for a crowd, pot luck. thanks for sharing this recipe with everyone."
"I have a problem with calories per serving when the recipe says it serves 12-15 people.This one has 488 cals. per serving. So it that based on 12 or 15 servings?Makes a big difference if you're counting cals."
"My family loves this. I let it set overnight as it is better the next day. I also put in 1 C of unwhipped whipping cream and 2C of milk instead of 3C of milk."