- 16 slices day-old bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling, slices cut in half
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine bread and sugar. Set aside. In another bowl, beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, salt and vanilla until foamy. Pour over bread and sugar; mix well. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except cream. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until firm. Cut into squares. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Fruit and Nut Bread Pudding
"This has been our "go-to" company dessert recipe for several years now. Have yet to find someone who doesn't like it! I make a hard sauce to top it rather than whipped cream."
"This is a family favorite. My family likes it really plain (without apple pie filling, raisins and pecans). We often have it hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream."
"I have made this lots of times and get raves every time. It is so easy and is great for a crowd, pot luck. thanks for sharing this recipe with everyone."
"I have a problem with calories per serving when the recipe says it serves 12-15 people.This one has 488 cals. per serving. So it that based on 12 or 15 servings?Makes a big difference if you're counting cals."
"My family loves this. I let it set overnight as it is better the next day. I also put in 1 C of unwhipped whipping cream and 2C of milk instead of 3C of milk."