If you're looking for a new dish for a summer lunch, you'll love this salad. The meat and rice make it a hearty meal, while the apples add a refreshing crunch.
Recommended: 32 Lunches To Spice Up Your Workday
- 4 cups cooked long grain or wild rice
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham or turkey
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, cubed
- 1 small Red Delicious apple, cubed
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup seedless green grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, combine rice, ham, apples, onions, grapes and raisins. In a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, sugar, curry, cinnamon and salt; pour over rice mixture and toss to coat. Chill for at least 2 hours. Just before serving, add almonds and toss. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Fruit 'n' Spice Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p44
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Fruit 'n' Spice Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review