- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped dates
- 1 cup finely chopped raisins
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in the dates, raisins and walnuts. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks. Meanwhile, combine glaze ingredients until smooth; brush over warm cookies. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Fruit 'n' Spice Rounds
"I love this cookie. I like to use chopped dates, golden raisins and chopped nuts, roll into rolls like refrigerator cookies and slice when very cold, instead of rolling out. Every time I take these cookies somewhere, the recipe is requested."
"Very good cookies. I will make again."
"This cookie is wonderful, spicy, chewie and keeps well. At least it keeps a few hours until they are all gone. I sometimes substitute chopped dried apricots or dried cherries or cranberries for the raisins. I make several batches before Christmas. They are always a hit!"