Fruit 'n' Nut Turnovers Recipe
These flaky Danish nicely round out a holiday brunch. —Aneta Kish, La Crosse, Wisconsin
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots or cherries
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons apricot nectar or maraschino cherry juice
- 1. In a large bowl, toss butter with 3 cups flour until well coated; refrigerate for 1 hour or until well chilled. In another large bowl, combine yeast and 1-1/2 cups flour. In a saucepan, heat the cream, sugar and salt to 120°-130°. Add to yeast mixture. Beat in egg. Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Stir in chilled butter mixture just until combined (butter will remain in large pieces).
- 2. Turn onto a well-floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Coat rolling pin with remaining flour. Roll dough into a 21-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Starting with a short side, fold dough in thirds, forming a 12-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until firm but not stiff.
- 3. Turn dough onto a well-floured surface; roll into a 21-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Starting with a short side, fold dough in thirds, forming a 12-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Give dough a quarter turn; roll into a 21-in. x 12 in. rectangle. Fold into thirds, starting with a short side. Repeat, flouring surface as needed. (Do not chill dough between each rolling and folding.) Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours or until firm.
- 4. For filling, in a small saucepan, bring fruit and water to a boil. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes; drain. Stir in the walnuts, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; set aside.
- 5. Cut dough in half lengthwise. Roll each portion into a 12-in. square; cut each square into nine 4-in. squares. Spoon about a rounded tablespoonful of filling onto the center of each square. Brush edges of dough with water; fold dough diagonally in half, forming a triangle. Press edges to seal. Place 4-in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 6. Bake at 375° for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Combine icing ingredients until reaching desired consistency; drizzle over warm turnovers. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen, 18 servings, 1 per serving.
1 serving (1 each) equals 412 calories, 21 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 207 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC