This snack recipe has a good mix of fruit and nuts. The mild cinnamon flavor adds a nice touch.
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup cashew halves
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 cups assorted bite-size dried fruit (raisins, apricots, dates, apples, bananas)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, lightly toast sunflower kernels in butter; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, lightly toast oats in oil. Add the sunflower kernels, cashews, almonds and sesame seeds.
- Combine the brown sugar, honey and cinnamon; add to oat mixture. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Spread in two ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring every 5 minutes. Cool, stirring occasionally. Stir in dried fruit. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 10 cups.
Originally published as Fruit 'n' Nut Trail Mix in Country Extra July 2001, p51
Reviews for Fruit 'n' Nut Trail Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 19, 2012
"First time making it and it turned out great. I did double the honey mixture and added a few different ingredients.Very easy and yummy"