Fruit 'n' Nut Stollen Recipe
"Making this stollen has become a tradition for our family," writes Rebekah Radewahn of Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. "Our family, friends and neighbors look forward to it every Christmas. We like it because it does not contain the usual candied fruits and citron called for in other stollens."
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup each raisins and dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup each chopped dried pineapple and apricots
- 1/4 cup each chopped pecans, almonds, Brazil nuts and walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, cardamom and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk and 1/2 cup butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. In a small bowl, combine the dried fruits, nuts and extract; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead fruit mixture into dough. Divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 10-in. x 8-in. oval. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Fold a long side over to within 1 in. of opposite side; press edges lightly to seal. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm loaves. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Fruit 'n' Nut Stollen in Taste of Home October/November 2007, p31
Reviews for Fruit 'n' Nut Stollen(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Almond Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dried Cranberry Recipes >
- German Bread Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pecan Recipes >