Fruit 'n' Nut Spread
Go ahead...spread on Caralyn Berigan's toast topper a little thick. "I adapted it from a higher-calorie spread without losing its fruity flavor," she reports from Golden, Colorado. "It's excellent on bagels, whole wheat toast and muffins."
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a blender or food processor, combine the cottage cheese, lemon
- juice and allspice; cover and process until smooth. Stir in fruit
- and nuts. Yield: 1 cup.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2 tablespoons) equals 67 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 94 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.