I'm always looking for new dessert recipes, and this one combines several of my favorite flavors.
- 3/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, toss cherries with 1/4 cup flour; set aside. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and honey. Combine the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture. Stir in nuts, chocolate chips and reserved cherries.
- Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth; drizzle over warm bars. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Fruit 'n' Nut Spice Bars in Country October/November 2003, p51
Reviews for Fruit 'n' Nut Spice Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 25, 2011
"The combination of flavors in this recipe rates hight in our household. I wouldn't change a thing."