Fruit 'n' Nut Chili Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, water, apples, beans, tomato paste, almonds, cocoa and seasonings.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 340 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 773mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 10g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Fruit 'n' Nut Chili
"It ain't chili ! Flavor is interesting, can appeal to some palates, but not mine"
"This chili is delicious!! I did cut down on the chili powder by using only 1 tablespoon because it would have been too spicy for us. I also used powdered garlic salt and only a few short shakes because I'm not a big fan of garlic. I also cut down on the green pepper and onion. I will definitely make this again!!"
"My husband and the 4 children all had more servings of this. We have made it more than once. After the first time the suggestion by my husband was to make sure that the apple was mashed so that he wouldn't notice the pieces. **THIS IS NOT A HOT chili. DON'T EXPECT HEAT** This is a very flavorful and filling chili that is great for the colder fall days."
"not sure about this one but will give it a try"