Apples, slivered almonds and cocoa add a new taste to chili.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, water, apples, beans, tomato paste, almonds, cocoa and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Fruit 'n' Nut Chili in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy Annual 2005, p11
Reviews for Fruit 'n' Nut Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review