- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 can (6 ounces) DOLE® Canned 100% Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon dried currants
- 4 teaspoons chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large bowl, beat the first six ingredients until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended (batter will be thick). Stir in the carrots, apricots, currants and ginger.
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; pour batter into pan. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, combine the pineapple juice, orange juice and honey. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 1/3 cup. Remove from the heat; cool for 15 minutes. Stir in apricots and currants. Spoon over cake. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Fruit & Carrot Cake in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p45
Reviews for Fruit & Carrot Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review