Frozen Waldorf Salad Recipe
While I was growing up on a farm in western Kansas, we always had lots of hungry men around during harvesttime. This salad is one we served often since it was easy to increase and we could prepare it ahead of time.
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Dash salt
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium red apples, chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving the juice. Set pineapple aside. In a saucepan, combine juice with sugar, eggs and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; cool. Stir in pineapple, celery, apples and pecans. Fold in whipped cream.
- 2. Pour into a 9-in. square pan. Cover and freeze until firm. Let stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes before cutting. Serve on lettuce-lined plates if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 257 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 40 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC