Frozen Strawberry Dessert Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown; cool on a wire rack. Set aside 1/3 cup for topping; sprinkle remaining nut mixture into a lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. dish.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine the egg whites, 1 tablespoon sugar, water and cream of tartar over low heat. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low speed until mixture reaches 160°. Pour into a large bowl. Add strawberries, lemon juice and remaining sugar; beat on high for 8 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- 3. In another large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into strawberry mixture. Transfer to prepared dish; sprinkle with the reserved nut mixture. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or overnight. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 piece: 350 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Frozen Strawberry Dessert
"First of all thank you for this recipe! This was always a favorite when my sister and I were growing up. Mom used pecan sandie cookies for the crust because she was allergic to walnuts. Can't wait to make this for my sis!"
"I live overseas and this is a recipe where I can get the ingredients in a 3rd world country and love how it tastes like back Home!"
"I have made this dessert for years. It is a family favorite and a great dessert on a hot summer day.I have subsituted peanuts for walnuts, brown sugar Splenda and white sugar Splenda (both for baking) over regular, used 2 cups of fresh strawberries over frozen, and Lite Cool Whip (8 oz) in place of the whipping cream with great success."
"I LOVED this dessert. It was so good. It reminded me of those Strawberry shortcake ice cream things on a stick."