- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown; cool on a wire rack. Set aside 1/3 cup for topping; sprinkle remaining nut mixture into a lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. dish.
- In a large saucepan, combine the egg whites, 1 tablespoon sugar, water and cream of tartar over low heat. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low speed until mixture reaches 160°. Pour into a large bowl. Add strawberries, lemon juice and remaining sugar; beat on high for 8 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- In another large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into strawberry mixture. Transfer to prepared dish; sprinkle with the reserved nut mixture. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or overnight. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Frozen Strawberry Dessert
Sort By :
I live overseas and this is a recipe where I can get the ingredients in a 3rd world country and love how it tastes like back Home!
I have made this dessert for years. It is a family favorite and a great dessert on a hot summer day.
I have subsituted peanuts for walnuts, brown sugar Splenda and white sugar Splenda (both for baking) over regular, used 2 cups of fresh strawberries over frozen, and Lite Cool Whip (8 oz) in place of the whipping cream with great success.
I LOVED this dessert. It was so good. It reminded me of those Strawberry shortcake ice cream things on a stick.