My grandpa gave me many of my grandmother's and great-grandmother's recipes, including this one, along with may wonderful stories about them.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown; cool on a wire rack. Set aside 1/3 cup for topping; sprinkle remaining nut mixture into a lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. dish.
- In a large saucepan, combine the egg whites, 1 tablespoon sugar, water and cream of tartar over low heat. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low speed until mixture reaches 160°. Pour into a large bowl. Add strawberries, lemon juice and remaining sugar; beat on high for 8 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- In another large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into strawberry mixture. Transfer to prepared dish; sprinkle with the reserved nut mixture. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or overnight. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Frozen Strawberry Dessert in Country Extra July 2004, p51
Reviews for Frozen Strawberry Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review