Frozen Pumpkin Mousse Parfaits Recipe
Even people who don't care for pumpkin pie rave about these frosty parfaits. The creamy, nicely spiced mousse contrasts wonderfully with the nutty toffee "crunch" pieces. —Jane Liska, Harbor Springs, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min. + freezing YIELD:8 servings
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup brickle toffee bits
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 10 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/4 cup dark rum or 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, toffee bits, brown sugar and butter. Press into a thin layer on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Break into small pieces.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine 1-1/2 cups whipping cream and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the pumpkin, rum, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, salt and nutmeg. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Press waxed paper onto surface of pudding; refrigerate until chilled.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat 1 cup cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into pumpkin mixture.
- 5. In each of eight dessert dishes, layer 4 teaspoons walnut mixture and 1/2 cup mousse; repeat layers. Freeze for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- 6. Just before serving, in a small bowl, beat remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Garnish parfaits with whipped cream and remaining walnut mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
1 parfait equals 952 calories, 66 g fat (32 g saturated fat), 412 mg cholesterol, 383 mg sodium, 84 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC