Frozen Grasshopper Pie Recipe
When I first started experimenting with cream pies, this seemed like the right recipe to create for a house of chocolate lovers. I guessed right. This is more of an adult New Year's Eve pie, but some have made it for Christmas dessert—served after the kids have gone to bed! —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
- 1-1/4 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (about 22 wafers)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 package (10 ounces) miniature marshmallows
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup creme de menthe
- 2 tablespoons creme de cacao
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, optional
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Maraschino cherries and additional whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, mix wafer crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto bottom and up sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine marshmallows and milk; cook and stir over medium-low heat 12-14 minutes or until smooth. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Stir in liqueurs and, if desired, extract.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form; fold in marshmallow mixture. Transfer to crust. Freeze 6 hours or until firm. If desired, top with cherries and additional whipped cream just before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece (calculated without toppings) equals 520 calories, 30 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 187 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC