Frozen Chocolate Monkey Treats
Everyone needs a fun, friendly way for kids to play with food. These “bites” are nutty and yummy when you coat bananas in chocolate and dip them into peanuts, sprinkles or coconut. —Susan Hein, Burlington, Wisconsin
18 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + freezing Cook: 5 min.
- 3 medium bananas
- 1 cup (6 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Toppings: chopped peanuts, toasted flaked coconut and/or colored jimmies
- Cut each banana into six pieces (about 1 in.). Insert a toothpick
- into each piece; transfer to a waxed paper-lined baking sheet.
- Freeze until completely firm, about 1 hour.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip
- banana pieces in chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Dip in
- toppings as desired; return to baking sheet. Freeze at least 30
- minutes before serving. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 treat (calculated without toppings) equals 72 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.