Frozen Chocolate Mint Pie Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Dash salt
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1-1/3 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 275°. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- 3. Spread onto bottom and up sides of a greased and floured 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake 1 hour. Turn off oven and do not open door; let meringue cool completely inside the oven.
- 4. For chocolate sauce, in small heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in sugar and evaporated milk. Cook over low heat 45-60 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in extracts and salt. Cool to room temperature.
- 5. Spread ice cream into meringue crust. Fold whipped cream into cooled chocolate sauce. Spread over ice cream layer; cover and freeze until firm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 435 calories, 20 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 154 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Frozen Chocolate Mint Pie
"I was reading this recipe today. Do you really cook the fudge sauce for 45 to 60 minues? That sounds like much too much time.Thanks,Caroline"