Frozen Chocolate Mint Pie Recipe
This refreshing pie was featured at a small resort my family visited regularly as I was growing up. When I make it now, I relish compliments from tasters along with fond memories of sunny days at the beach and good home cooking.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Dash salt
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1-1/3 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 275°. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- 3. Spread onto bottom and up sides of a greased and floured 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake 1 hour. Turn off oven and do not open door; let meringue cool completely inside the oven.
- 4. For chocolate sauce, in small heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in sugar and evaporated milk. Cook over low heat 45-60 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in extracts and salt. Cool to room temperature.
- 5. Spread ice cream into meringue crust. Fold whipped cream into cooled chocolate sauce. Spread over ice cream layer; cover and freeze until firm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 435 calories, 20 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 154 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Frozen Chocolate Mint Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC