Frozen Chocolate Mint Pie Recipe
This refreshing pie was featured at a small resort my family visited regularly as I was growing up. When I make it now, I relish compliments from tasters along with fond memories of sunny days at the beach and good home cooking.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Dash salt
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1-1/3 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 275°. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread onto bottom and up sides of a greased and floured 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake 1 hour. Turn off oven and do not open door; let meringue cool completely inside the oven.
- For chocolate sauce, in small heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in sugar and evaporated milk. Cook over low heat 45-60 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in extracts and salt. Cool to room temperature.
- Spread ice cream into meringue crust. Fold whipped cream into cooled chocolate sauce. Spread over ice cream layer; cover and freeze until firm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Frozen Chocolate Mint Pie in Country Woman January/February 2002, p29
Reviews for Frozen Chocolate Mint Pie(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Chocolate Cream Pie >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Pie Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Cream Pie Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Pie Baking >
- Pie Recipes >