Frozen Chocolate Mint Dessert Recipe
“This is adapted from my great-aunt's recipe for grasshopper pie. It came about by accident, as I put in too much mint extract. To cut the mint taste with something gooey and chocolaty, I ended up flipping the whole pie upside-down on top of a brownie crust.” Sarah Newman - Brooklyn Center, Minnesota
- 1 package fudge brownie mix (13x9-inch pan size)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) large marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 2/3 cup Oreo cookie crumbs
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the brownie mix, egg whites, applesauce and vanilla. Spread into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, combine cocoa and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until cocoa is dissolved. Stir in marshmallows until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Cool completely.
- 3. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over brownies. Sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Cover and freeze for at least 8 hours. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 24 servings.
1 piece equals 293 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 141 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC