Frozen Cherry Salad
Pretty slices of this refreshing salad are dotted with colorful cherries for a festive look. The flavor is pleasant and not overly sweet. Prepared in advance and frozen, it's a treat that fits into many different menus. I serve it throughout the year. -Gail Sykora, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + freezing
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) mandarin oranges, drained
- Maraschino cherries and orange wedges, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese and whipped topping. Stir
- in pie filling. Set aside 1/4 cup oranges for garnish. Fold
- remaining oranges into cream cheese mixture.
- Transfer to a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Cover and freeze overnight.
- Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before cutting. Garnish with the
- reserved mandarin oranges, cherries and oranges if desired. Yield:
- 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with fat-free cream cheese, reduced-fat whipped topping and reduced-sugar pie filling and without maraschino cherries and oranges) equals 137 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 111 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.