Frosty Cantaloupe Sherbet Recipe
- 1 small ripe cantaloupe
- 2 cups cold fat-free milk, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Cut cantaloupe in half; discard seeds. Scoop out pulp (there should be about 4 cups of melon). Place cantaloupe and 1 cup milk in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and remaining milk. Sprinkle gelatin over top; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is complete dissolved.
- 3. Stir in the corn syrup, salt and pureed cantaloupe. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Cover and freeze until partially frozen, about 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Place cantaloupe mixture in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan. Cover and freeze until almost frozen, about 1 hour. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 152 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat-free milk.