Friends and family gladly share garden-fresh zucchini with me so I can make and give away many batches of these cookies. I keep shredded zucchini in the freezer so we can enjoy them in winter as well. A cream cheese frosting makes them especially delicious.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, optional
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves if desired; add to creamed mixture alternately with zucchini, beating well after each addition. Stir in raisins and walnuts. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Frost cooled cookies. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Zucchini Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p22
Reviews for Frosted Zucchini Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review