Frosted Zucchini Bars Recipe
"I grow tons of zucchini in my garden—and this is a wonderful way to share it," says green thumb Sandi Laskowski of Rapid City, South Dakota. "These moist tender bars are topped with a yummy caramel cream cheese frosting. When I bring a plateful of them to work, they're always a hit!"
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:18 servings
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- CARAMEL CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 10 caramels
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to the egg mixture and mix well. Stir in zucchini, dates and walnuts. Spread into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a saucepan, heat caramels and water over low heat until caramels are melted, stirring occasionally. In a bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Add caramel mixture and salt; mix well. Spread over cooled bars. Yield: 18 servings.
One bar equals 323 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 232 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC