- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound dark or milk chocolate candy coating, melted
- Confectioners' sugar icing, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour, oats, extracts and salt; mix well.
- Roll out dough to 1/4-in thickness. Cut with a 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. Spread warm cookies with candy coating; cool. Decorate with icing if desired. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Frosted Valentine Cookies
Sort By :
"Because I love a dry cookie, this one rates among my favorites. Frosting them with melted chocolate just gives them the right finishing touch!!!"
"I've made this recipe several times and enjoy the unique vanilla & almond flavoring as well as the texture with the oatmeal. I've frosed them by melting chocolate chips or by using the traditional butter-cream frosting. Both are good!"
"I think EVERYTHING is special about these cookies!! Everyone I've given them to has asked for the recipe. I make them all year round, even using a pastry cutter and cutting into diamond or rectangular shapes when I am in a hurry. Love the quick oats and the slight hint of almond flavoring. I think they are delicious."
"Nothing special about these cookies. Tasted like they came from a tube."