The spicy taste of these cutouts is a festive change of pace from ordinary sugar cookies. Everyone in our house favors them.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons water
- Red and green paste food coloring, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter, oil and sugar. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Beat in milk. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight (dough will be soft). On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion at a time to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks. For frosting, beat confectioners' sugar and water in a bowl. Add food coloring if desired. Frost cooled cookies. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Spice Cutouts in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p34
Reviews for Frosted Spice Cutouts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review