- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg: Beat in molasses, and buttermilk. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the walnuts, raisins and dates. Chill for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. Cool completely.
- For frosting, beat all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Spread over cooled cookies; let dry completely. Yield: 5-6 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Spice Cookies in Reminisce November/December 1993, p49
Reviews for Frosted Spice Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review