Frosted Spice Cake Recipe
From Berkshire, Massachusetts, Lorraine Darocha sends this moist and flavorful spice cake. It's easy to add cinnamon to prepared vanilla frosting for the fast finishing touch.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/8 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (12 ounces) whipped vanilla frosting
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Combine the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; add to dry ingredients and beat until smooth (batter will be thin).
- 2. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Stir remaining cinnamon into frosting; spread over cake. Yield: 20 servings.
One piece equals 283 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 261 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 fruit.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC