Frosted Spice Cake Recipe
From Berkshire, Massachusetts, Lorraine Darocha sends this moist and flavorful spice cake. It's easy to add cinnamon to prepared vanilla frosting for the fast finishing touch.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:20 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/8 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (12 ounces) whipped vanilla frosting
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Combine the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; add to dry ingredients and beat until smooth (batter will be thin).
- 2. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Stir remaining cinnamon into frosting; spread over cake. Yield: 20 servings.
One piece equals 283 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 261 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 fruit.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC