- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/8 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (12 ounces) whipped vanilla frosting
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Combine the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; add to dry ingredients and beat until smooth (batter will be thin).
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Stir remaining cinnamon into frosting; spread over cake. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Frosted Spice Cake
Sort By :
"Very good! I made the following cinnamon buttercream frosting to go on top: 1/2 cup butter- room temp, 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 3 TBSP milk, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon."
"Easy, delicious, and moist. No need to drag out your mixer - it mixes up easily with a wooden spoon. I've made this cake twice. The second time I cut the nutmeg in half, because I think that spice tends to overwhelm the others. I frosted it with homemade vanilla buttercream by special request, but I'll try adding cinnamon the next time."
"Surprisingly wonderful everyday cake. Even the prepared frosting tasted good with the extra cinnamon. Healthy and easy on the calories, too!"
"Easy, flavorful and moist. Received lots of compliments and will use it again. Thank you."
"The whole family loved this! I made it with the 7-minute white icing recipe from the Joy of Cooking cookbook. The kids ate a piece of this with a piece of spice cake made by someone else, and this one won hands down. The other was so bland and dry in comparison."