I was making the cookies for my son's classroom party and in my haste, I used regular sugar for the confectioners' sugar called for in the original recipe. I didn't realize the error until the first batch was baked. I sampled one and noticed that it was not as crunchy as usual but I thought they tasted better so I kept baking.—Leah Gallington, Corona, California
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 72 pretzel sticks
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Blue and red decorating icing
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Gradually beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture. Shape dough into 1-in., 5/8-in. and 1/4-in. balls.
- For each snowman, place one of each size ball 1/4 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; place snowmen 2 in. apart. Break pretzel sticks in half; press into sides of middle ball.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute before removing to wire racks. Frost cooled cookies. Decorate with blue icing for eyes, mouth and buttons, and red for nose and scarf. Yield: 6 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Snowmen in Quick Cooking January/February 2000, p41
Reviews for Frosted Snowmen
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review