I was making the cookies for my son's classroom party and in my haste, I used regular sugar for the confectioners' sugar called for in the original recipe. I didn't realize the error until the first batch was baked. I sampled one and noticed that it was not as crunchy as usual but I thought they tasted better so I kept baking.—Leah Gallington, Corona, California
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 72 pretzel sticks
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Blue and red decorating icing
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Gradually beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture. Shape dough into 1-in., 5/8-in. and 1/4-in. balls.
- For each snowman, place one of each size ball 1/4 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; place snowmen 2 in. apart. Break pretzel sticks in half; press into sides of middle ball.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute before removing to wire racks. Frost cooled cookies. Decorate with blue icing for eyes, mouth and buttons, and red for nose and scarf. Yield: 6 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Snowmen in Quick Cooking January/February 2000, p41
Reviews for Frosted Snowmen
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 23, 2009
"This sugar cookie recipe is wonderful! Similar to loft house sugar cookies. Our snowmen weren't as pretty as the picture, but our kids enjoyed making and decorating them nonetheless!"