My mom has always known that homemade cookies have a special appeal that can't be duplicated by the store-brought variety. Even today, she keeps us grownup kids well stocked with fresh-from-the-oven treats such as this tender shortbread.
18 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 milk chocolate candy bar (1.55 ounces each), broken into rectangles
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add
- to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at
- 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately place candy bar pieces over crust. Let stand for 1 minute
- or until softened; spread chocolate evenly. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Cool. Cut into squares. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 223 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 143 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.