My mom has always known that homemade cookies have a special appeal that can't be duplicated by the store-brought variety. Even today, she keeps us grownup kids well stocked with fresh-from-the-oven treats such as this tender shortbread. —Pat Cole Polebridge, Montana
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each), broken into rectangles
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately place candy bar pieces over crust. Let stand for 1 minute or until softened; spread chocolate evenly. Sprinkle with walnuts. Cool. Cut into squares. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Shortbread in Taste of Home June/July 2001, p35
Reviews for Frosted Shortbread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 5, 2011
Reviewed Sep. 17, 2010
"I have used this recipe and it's great! Thank you for putting this recipe in TOH! Dawn E. Lowenstein"