Frosted Red Velvet Cookies Recipe
During college, my student job was in the bakery. These Red Velvet Cookies take me back to that special place and time. —Christina Petri, Alexandria, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:60 servings
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (16 ounces) cream cheese frosting
- 1. In a microwave, melt unsweetened chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, food coloring and vanilla. Add cooled chocolate; beat until blended. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Stir in chocolate chips.
- 3. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-9 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Spread with frosting. Yield: 5 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC