During college, my student job was in the bakery. These Red Velvet Cookies take me back to that special place and time. —Christina Petri, Alexandria, Minnesota
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (16 ounces) cream cheese frosting
- In a microwave, melt unsweetened chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, food coloring and vanilla. Add cooled chocolate; beat until blended. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-9 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Spread with frosting. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Red Velvet Cookies in Taste of Home August/September 2012, p26
Reviews for Frosted Red Velvet Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review