- 1 cup raisins
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
- 6 to 8 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Place raisins in a bowl. Add boiling water; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid; set the raisins and liquid aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with reserved liquid, beating well after each addition. Stir in walnuts and raisins.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine 4 tablespoons cream, brown sugar and butter. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a full boil; boil for 1 minute. Place confectioners' sugar in a bowl; add hot cream mixture and enough of the remaining cream to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Raisin Nut Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p39
Reviews for Frosted Raisin Nut Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review